Thursday, August 25, 2011

New Links, Nukes, & Smoking

In the first post I mentioned some vegan friends that opened a shop, well the name of it is Never Felt Better Vegan Shop. They are moving to a new location and are raising funds to assist with an upgrade.

"We thought offering a small coffee bar and local vegan pastries, bagels and gourmet cream cheeses for the mornings, along with more grab-n-go deli foods would be a welcome addition to NFB, and works with our location."
There's lots more at their blog and facebook page

Heard an interesting podcast this morning (what I call "last night").
The nightmare of the meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power plant in Japan, which is still emitting radiation, has led some countries to decide to phase out nuclear power -- and others to continue as planned. Environmental journalist Tina Gerhardt weighs in on whether the predicted renaissance in nuclear power has been scuppered, and explores the centrality of activism in shutting down existing and future plants.
 Here's the link to the show.
Scuppered... leave it to Against The Grain to pepper their work with a pinch of ivory tower. Tina Gerhardt writes for the Nation. on the environment. To try and comment about the fact that according to the UN, rearing cattle produces more greenhouse gases than driving cars seems somehow intimidating. It's easy to point that out to people that never think about it on facebook, but these two women on the show do think about these things in great, complex detail. I wonder where I could attempt to jump into the conversation with a comment, because I think it's a valid point that they both completely overlooked. Need to come up with a good strategy. The comments are apparently blocked for the show page. Ok, got it, facebook https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=152050854876167&id=194529027376

I was very impressed with my co-worker, who I had to ask to refrain from smoking near me while we work throughout the night. He said he liked that I was respectful when I mentioned it and that I would probably cause him to quit (his wife feels the same way about smoking that I do, apparently). The impressive thing was that he came back from the weekend, and didn't have one cigarette the entire night. He said it was just psychological, and all he had to do was decide.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment