Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Vegans Of Color


I've known for a while now about the Ital movement among Rastas, which is a strict vegan diet, among other things. There are entire villages in India that are strictly vegetarian, as I learnt from the documentary film Phantom India. The woman that runs the Vietnamese restaurant Le Kims that I frequent is a vegetarian Buddhist (who lovingly accommodates my vegan requests for soy in the Thai Iced-Tea). So why are all vegans I see on every site, every forum, every blog, every outreach event, (even the woman who heads Animals Asia) all mostly European-American people like myself? There's lots to read on the Vegans Of Color blog from many different contributors, so I'm not going to attempt to answer my own question just yet. This is getting at a deep condition of reality that I've only recently focused on in regard to the social attitudes toward other animals, and can now mix with the larger context of the past few hundred years of world history as I understand it.

For White Folks: How To Become An Ally (Part 1) This particular article is rolling around in my mind, and I'm going to meditate on it for a few days, re-read it, and take it from there. I'll try and share my thoughts as I progress.

I am curious and hopeful to see more about farmworkers (that are majority Latino in the USA) on Vegans Of Color. I feel that this has been an overlooked part of veganism, which seems to focus on academic law and philosophical theory, and subculture lifestyle issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment